Friday, June 08, 2007

What is a Pound Cake?

Being a amatuer baker myself I really don't know what is the different between a butter cake and a pound cake. Because recently I've bake a cream cheese pound cake and it taste quite exactly like butter cake.

At first, I though this cake will have heavy cheese flavour but on contrary is quite mild. Besides than the cost I invest in the cake, I found no different at all. The ingredient, cream cheese is very expensive in Malaysia. For a block of cream cheese it cost about RM8.40. With this amount I can bake a normal butter cake...haiz...

So is there any different between these two cake?

Let me quote from baking911.com


Typical butter cakes are American butter cakes and Pound cakes. Both have a fine crumb, a tender moist texture and a rich buttery taste, which makes them some of the most popular cakes. Butter cakes tend to be richer than other types of cakes and have a good volume, but Pound cakes are the richest and densest of all Butter cakes.
OMG, now I know they are the same but only different in rich and density of the butter cake!

Somewhere in the net, I've read that the Pound cake is named so because of the weight of each ingredient they use is exactly 1 pound.

Now I've learn a new thing.

~ Alpha

No comments: